Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Tree Grows in Bartlett

Greetings Loved Ones We have this amazing tree in our back yard. It is at least 60 or 70 feet tall. It blooms every year.
The amazing thing about this particular tree is it is crazy crooked. At it's base it curves like the bottom of a S. It really shouldn't be able to withstand anything. It defies gravity, it's full of pock marks from lightning I suppose and I just love it. I love that it clearly defied all odds and didn't just survive but it has lived a wonderful long life. It shelters the play area where my children laugh and swing and bounce on the trampoline as it did the children that lived here before. I can imagine fairies or gnomes living in it. It's that magical. This year I noticed it is dropping it's leaves earlier than all the other trees. I'm hoping it is because it has been so hot and dry this year or maybe it is the genus of tree that sheds early. I'm not sure, I just hope it's not because it is old and has fought the good fight and it is sick. I love lots of trees in our back yard but this is clearly my favorite because it reminds me of the book "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I cry every time I read it to my children. I'm sure I will cry when and if my dear friend has to come down. But make no mistake we will leave the stump, it won't be ground down. There will be a reminder that a survivor once lived in that spot. It will give a place to just sit and watch the kids play whether mine or someone else's.
Speaking of my kids they are all back in school. I don't know why but I'm terribly lonely this year. The house is so very empty without them. I get alot done of course but it's just not as fun.
Did you ever think you would hear me say that. Me either. Getting older makes you appreciate the little things. (Like joints that work and Advil :) Big Dave bought me a treadmill. So I walk everyday now. I hate it. But I do it. Charlotte says, "You hate everything Mom.":) She's right.
Dave has always said I am anti-social. I used to argue with him but now I tell him he's right. I really don't like to meet new people. I hate our ward. I hate that I was perfectly happy where I was and now I am compelled to go with people I don't particularly like. Let me explain. Charlotte brought home a quote from school: "I like humanity, I just don't like people." Actually, I don't hate everyone in our ward there are some that I'm just crazy about. But mostly not. I don't go to church because of the people of course I go to worship the Savior. So I go every Sunday because I love to take the sacrament and feel His spirit when the speakers talk. I believe my children need to be there too. Also, I believe we all need to serve in one capacity or another so I teach the 17 & 18 year old Sunday school class. Obviously I haven't learned enough patience yet so I've been sent to the Gulag. I'm trying. I hate teenagers. I told them this when they extended the calling to me. They said "Try it Sister Steward you might like it." I Don't.
Here is a list of other things I hate. I hate when old people sit in the back row at church. Let the families with little kids sit there. I hate when young married Utards call Memphis "The mission field" when half the kids I know have served in Salt Lake and Provo. I HATE when people who call photographs "pitchers" make fun of the way I talk while mine is the language of Tennessee Williams, Eudora Welty, and Harper Lee. Charlotte is right, I do hate everything. Here's some things I DO like. I like that I still love church despite everything else. I like that I love my new hair color which is grey and silver. Yes, I decided to be my authentic self and go natural and I love it. It is beautiful. I saw Jamie Lee Curtis on an Activia commercial and her hair is grey and lovely. My dear friend Kathy Carter's hair is possibly the most beautiful hair I've ever seen other than my Great Grandmother Granny Lankford. I like that you love me even though I am a whine-pot. I LOVE birthday weekends. I will be 46 this Sunday. OMG! It must suck to have your kids look old. Sorry Dad.:( I like that I had to buy new clothes because none of my old ones fit. And believe it or not I like this new technology that lets me keep in contacts with all of you. (Dave and Kris laugh when I complain about computers.) Have a great day and know that I am thinking about all of you. Much Love, Tracey

3 comments:

Maria said...

You missed your calling, my friend. Take your spare time, all 3 minutes of it, and write books, any books, children's books, humor, poetry, anything. You have a gift that you're hiding under a bushel, except for those of us that get to read your letters and blogs. Sign up for a writers workshop and go to it!!! I mean it!!
Maria

George said...

I agree with Maria. You write beautifuly. Of course I'm not biased or anything.

Dad

Britt said...

Tracey. I love your rants. I hate that you don't love your ward. I also think the Utards need some enlightenment. I love your accent. I love that you love trees. I love your backyard. I miss you and your family.