Saturday, August 9, 2008

Good news, bad news or It sucks to get old

Hello dear family and friends,
I know it has been a great long time since I have blogged. This summer has been very busy with all the kids @ home. We didn't go on our trip to the east coast like I had hoped. Remember when I said I felt so great about our New Orleans trip? Well, I felt just the opposite about our summer trip. The week we were going to be in D.C. they were in the grips of a horrendous heat wave Proof positive that you should always listen to that little voice inside your head. It has been a delightful summer. We had a nice long visit with Clark and Vicki. I just love having visitors, no matter how long or how brief. Last Sunday Big Dave's uncle Dick and Aunt Donna came for a visit. It was so nice to see them. It was amazing how much Dave's brother Bob looks and sounds so very much like Dick. They were only here for the afternoon and evening but any time spent with loving family is time well spent. Donna was especially sweet to my little ones and looked on (with interest) at every single paper from school from last year. My little kids are starved for grandparents as we live so far away from everyone.
My brother says he hates the way I write my blogs. Have you ever heard of a paragraph? So, I'm trying to remember to make my letters like the ones I learned to type the three years I was in High School. Yes, I took three years of Business Office Education (B.O.E. for short). Oh, it gets better. I was also the F.B.L.A. president. (Future Business Leaders of America) The largest club in my high school. Isn't that insane? Want to hear something even crazier? This summer I went from doing nothing but being a room mom to raising my hand to volunteer to be the band booster president @ David's brand new middle school. This was after I was recruited to be the Hospitality chairperson on the new PTA board @ Bon Lin Middle School. To whom much is given, much is required. :)
This is Charlotte's birthday weekend. My baby turns 18 on Sunday. Remember that beautiful baby that smiled at all my silliness? Remember that curly haired angel that sang "Jesus said love everyone" in church and made everyone cry. She is still the sweet girl you remember. She is going into her senior year. She plans on going to U of Memphis to become an elementary educator. She wanted a comfy chair for her bedroom to read in. She got one. Yesterday we spent a whole day with her girlfriends. We met @ 10:00 and went to see the Andy Warhol exhibit @ the Brooks Museum, then downtown to eat @ The Spaghetti Warehouse.
We were going to come home and swim with the guys she invited but none of them were able to come. So, we went to the 4:00 matinee of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Part II". OMG if I see one more angst ridden/coming of age movie I think I'll slit my wrist. The girls seemed to enjoy it however. Then we came home and had Blimpie's sandwiches and strawberry shortcake. They rounded the day out by playing a game of Hit or Miss. It was a fun day.
The biggest thing that happened this summer was we finally got the road to our driveway paved. Glory, Halleluyah! No more living in a dust bowl. We decided to pave it with concrete instead of black top. It cost more but in the long run will look better and last longer. That road tends to flood like crazy and we were afraid black top would just peel up. We went in with our 3 other neighbors so the whole cost wasn't on just one family. It truly is a sight to behold. Thanks Big Dave. He was the one that got it all going.
Well, the kids start school here on Monday. How I dread it. I just adore the lazy days (especially the mornings) of summer. This summer has been so wonderfully laid back. Not much arguing between the kids. I will truly miss them. I have to send them though, I don't want a tribe of trogladites.
Oh yea, I almost forgot about my title heading. Well the good news is I've lost 23 pounds!
I feel great and have more energy. The bad news is why I'm losing weight. On May 24th I found out I (along wth 20,000,000 other Americans) have type II diabetes. I am not on insulin but take Metformin for blood sugar, Lisinopril for blood pressure and kidney protection, Tricor for triglycerides, and 1200 mg of fish oil for heart health. I was devistated at first. then pissed off at myself then finally resigned. I've decided that perhaps this was the best way for me to get off my a** and do something for my health. I'm very thankfull I didn't have a stroke or a heart attack because my blood sugar was 650 and worse my triglycerides were 697. Very scary. But let me tell you to please continue to have those yearly physicals because I was fine last year. In one year this happened. Life is good. Hold as long as you can. I'm gonna go now. All my love,
Tracey:)

1 comment:

Britt said...

Oh, Tracey. I am so sorry about the Diabetes. Sucks. Good about the loosing weight, thought. Your summer sounds fun and we miss you lots. I can not believe Charlotte is 18. I remember babysitting her once and baking something in the easy bake oven and her being thrilled. She must have been 6 or so. Scary. Love you lots.