Hello dear friends and fam,
Okay, so Charlotte calls me everyday after school to tell me how her day was. Yesterday she told me about a confrontation with her chemistry teacher. Let it be known that this is his first year to teach and he is a piss poor teacher so far. They have had NO labs and watch C.S.I. Miami and take notes. He yells at them and singles out non-athletes . But I digress, so it's 5 minutes until the bell rings and he was answering someone else's question. He turned around and began to write on the chalkboard. When he turned around he singled Charlotte out and said "Charlotte why aren't you taking notes?" (no one else was taking notes either) Charlotte said "I already took notes." This angered him and he said, "Any time I'm writing on the board you should be taking notes!" She shrugged her shoulders and said "Okay." When the bell rang he asked her to stay after class. He said "Where is all this attitude coming from?" (This is my favorite part of the story) she looked him straight in the eye and said "I don't like the way you teach. I don't like how you give us chapter reviews before we even go over the chapter. And I don't like how you yell at us in class." She said he was visibly shaken and angry. "Well, you need to take notes." Charlotte interjected "I do take notes. Can I go now? I'm going to be late to my next class." He yells down the hall, "I can't help you, if you don't help yourself!" "Yeah, okay." Later Charlotte's hears from a friend that this same teacher asked subsequent classes to write a list of things they would change about his class. Evidently, Charlotte wasn't the only person with issues. Fast forward to today. After the starting bell Coach Nelson stood in front of the class and
apologized for everything that Charlotte had told him and then some for thirty minutes. Then they went to the chemistry lab where he demonstrated an experiment they will be doing Tuesday! After they went back to class he pulled Charlotte aside and apologized saying, "I'm sorry it took all that to realized you were so bored in my class." Charlotte replied, "It was partially my fault too." Can you believe that? When I was that age I would have averted my eyes and never said how I really felt. I told Charlotte by confronting him and not backing down she probably affected change for every student in his class. I also told her she may have just saved his job. She smiled and said "Well that's to bad." I really love that kid. I want to be her when I grow up.
An update on my dad, Steve. Mom called yesterday asking for prayers that he will wear his C-Pat mask to sleep in. It is for his sleep-apnea and the doctor said his not wearing it may have contributed to his stroke. My dad is stubborn and he hates that mask on a good day. Please remember him in your prayers.
J.K.'s birthday was Monday. He turned 8! This a biggie for Latter-Day Saints. That's the age we all get baptized (if we aren't converts obviously). On his B-day Dave and I ate lunch with him @ school. We brought cupcakes for the class and I stayed to read to the class. After piano lessons that night I asked J.K., "If you could eat anywhere where would you eat?" "ANYWHERE?" "Yes anywhere Buddy." "Could we go to Chuck E. Cheese?" "Sure." Eruption from the back seat as three children chant, "We're goin' to Chuck E. Cheese!" "We're goin' to Chuck E. Cheese!" I hate Chuck E. Cheese. But I sure love those kids. Later Charlotte told me
the commercial said that Chuck E. Cheese is a kid's favorite mouse. I said, "Hmm, Mickey is my favorite mouse, they wish Chuck E. Cheese was the favorite. He's Mickey's trailor-trash cousin." Charlotte laughed. I still got it.
That's all for now. Have a great weekend. Happy MLK holiday. LYLAS,
Tracey

No comments:
Post a Comment